Job Title: Intern 3 (3 – 6 years of experience)
Reports To: Project Manager, Senior Designer or CA Administrator
Manages: Own Effort, Other Interns
Full-time intern on the path to licensure with three to six years of experience, works under direction of others, responsible for projects’ technical design; provides planning/design/coordination consultation on large projects; reviews/approves conceptual designs. Responsible for specific technical design aspects of an assigned project including investigation, evaluation, and recommendation of design solutions. Performs assignments under direction with limited responsibility for design. Provides professional architectural consultation in the planning, design, and coordination of large, complex projects. Independently makes decisions on significant architectural design problems and methods. Reviews and approves conceptual designs. Carries out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures.
Summary of Position at three: living architecture
The Intern 3 position is akin to the position called Job Captain at other firms, i.e. an experienced architectural graduate that has not yet attained registered status. An Intern 3 may be utilized in Design, Production, or Construction Administration and be responsible for the production of design documents, construction documents, or CA documents. He/she will typically be under the direct supervision of a Project Manager or Senior Designer on a team but may also report to a CA Administrator, Senior Architect, PA, or Principal. The Intern 3 must have a thorough understanding of the architectural process with specialized knowledge in a specific phase of the process.
The Intern 3 must demonstrate an ongoing willingness to learn and possess high standards, sound judgment, and professionalism. The Intern 3 will gain further knowledge on the job and is expected to share that knowledge with less experienced staff. The Intern 3 should be close to architectural registration and is expected to complete that process as soon as possible. Team support and motivation of others are primary responsibilities.
Depending on experience, an Intern 3 may be used to perform the function of Project Architect, Associate Designer, or Construction Administrator. In that case, the Intern 3 should refer to the Summary of Position for those Job Titles to understand what is expected.
- Prioritizes and performs tasks assigned in Design, Production, or Construction Administration.
- Maintains ongoing, positive, and productive relationships with staff.
- Effectively and proactively seeks to complete the IDP requirements and ARE exams.
- Implements the firm’s standards in all phases of the design process.
- Develop technical architectural documents primarily in the DD and CD phases, with guidance from a Project Manager or Project Architect as part of a team.
- Learns from each project and applies those skills to the next project.
- Work within the schedule provided to deliver coordinated documents.
- Work overtime if required to meet deadlines.
- Mentor a less experienced Intern as required.
- Support the Project Architect in the performance of his/her responsibilities.
- Performs the initial document review for quality design conformance and adherence to documentation standards before asking Project Architect or Project Manager for their.
- Plans weekly goals with Project Architect and/or Project Manager.
- Is a graduate of an accredited architectural college or university.
- Is proficient in Revit, CADD, Sketch Up or Rhino, Photoshop, and In-Design.
- Has a general knowledge of building systems, code requirements, occupancy requirements, and construction techniques.
- Has sufficient oral and written skills to communicate technical conditions.
- Manages time to meet weekly goals and alerts Project Architect if they foresee problems in schedule.
This position requires a B.S. or Masters degree in Architecture or at least 4 years of relevant experience without a degree. Basic presentation skills, both verbal and graphic, are required. The Intern must be familiar with AutoCAD, Revit, Photoshop, Sketch Up, In-Design, and Microsoft Office. Travel is not required.